student_credit_cardsTo make an adjustment to the United Kingdom social-economic life you may require opening a bank account with the regulatory financial institute. If you have a bank account could make your life easier to pay any online payment or shopping.

If you are going to be studying in the UK for a while, you will need to open a bank account. You should do this as soon as possible, ideally with a bank on campus or nearby. Many banks offer special student facilities and have financial advisers to help you organise your account.

When you open your international student bank account you will need:

  • your passport
  • a letter of acceptance from your place of study
  • proof of your address at home and in the UK
  • reference and statements from your home bank

Most banks in the UK are open from 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday, with some open on Saturday mornings. If you have a cash card for your account you can use a cash machine 24/7. Many banks in the UK also offer on-line banking which you may prefer to use. But if you have a debit card you may use for any type of transaction anywhere.


Before Travelling To the UK

Ask your college or university what your options are for paying fees, so you will know what facilities you will need. You should then contact your bank at home and ask:

  • how you should transfer your money to the UK
  • about running a bank account in the UK
  • whether your bank has a special relationship with any UK banks
  • whether you can use cash cards from your home bank in cash machines in the UK


Managing Your International Student Bank Account

It is important not to overspend on your account, as your bank will charge you if you go overdrawn. If you think you need more money than you have in your account, speak to your bank´s student adviser about arranging an overdraft. If you need more support to open a bank account please contact with our special advisers.